Monday, January 7, 2013

Jackson's Birth Story: The Arrival

In the days...weeks...prior to Jackson's birth I have to admit that I was very nervous. I was excited for his arrival of course, but I would have been much happier if I could skip over the whole surgery part and just get to the holding part. All I could envision was a big shot and being cut open while I was wide awake on the table. I was afraid the birth would just be so procedural that it would take away from the experience

The night before my c-section, I rested but I couldn't really say I slept. We left the house bright and early and surprisingly my nerves were somewhat eased. I guess I had gotten out most of my "negative" nervousness in all the days prior. My only tell of nervousness that day was my non-stop laughter and terrible jokes I made with the hospital staff. 

Everything moved very quickly. I honestly didn't have that much time to think. I kept glancing at the clock and realizing it would be such a short time before I would finally be meeting Jackson. When it was finally time to walk over to the OR, more laughter and terrible jokes were made until the spinal was done and it was time to get down to business. Finally reality kicked in and my nerves made me silent and still. My husband was brought in at 7:45 and by 7:47 Jackson arrived with a very loud cry! Relief immediately washed over me when I knew that he had arrived safely and healthy.

The hardest part of the whole ordeal was the being put back together part. It took the longest and I could definitely feel tugging and such. I just kept trying to concentrate on Jackson and everything that was going on behind me. I have to say the worst part of a c-section is that you don't get to hold your baby immediately. It's kind of like the momentous occasion is delayed a bit. It makes me twitchy to watch all the other people get to handle him first. My inner mama bear definitely wants to rear it's ugly head in those moments as I impatiently wait my turn. 

Thankfully this time around I did not have to wait as long to hold Jackson as I did with Ethan. With Ethan, I had to wait 3 hours before I held him and in hindsight I can't believe I even stood by and let that happen, but I guess we can chalk that up to being a first timer. After the doctor was finished with me this go around, I was wheeled back to recovery for an hour where I immediately got to hold Jackson for the first time. 

He is beautiful.

He is wonderful.

Part two coming soon with all the details of the first days, recovery and differences of the second time around. 


  1. Glad it went well and you weren't full of nerves!

    P.S. You were so tiny, you looked like you had a basketball under you're shirt! :)

  2. Great birth story! You definitely looked like you just had a ball under your tiny, with a ball belly :)

  3. I love all these photos! I can't wait to meet the little guy :)

  4. I'm glad that you posted this as I just read a horror C section story! These words (and pictures) made me smile and gave some peace to my heart. Can't wait to read more about life with 2!

  5. You had to wait 3 hours with Ethan? Sheesh. Why so long?

    I got to hold my Ethan on the way back to the recovery room. I would've been so upset if I had to wait! I'm glad you got to hold Jackson earlier!


Comments make my day! Go ahead...get to typing. I want to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Creative Commons License

My Thoughts - Uninterrupted by Laura Sager is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at

All images are property of Laura Sager unless otherwise noted.