Thursday, October 4, 2012

Day 4: Finding Happiness by Going with the Flow


There are somedays that just don't pan out quite like you originally planned them. Wednesday, was one of those days. I woke up with a major To-Do list in my head and was ready to jump in the shower and start my day early when I heard the number one plan killer....early morning baby cry. 

At that point, 5 minutes into my perfectly planned day, I knew things were going to go array, but I trudged on in pursuit of making it a "Happy" day. I thought...this can be saved!

2 hours into our morning I had disciplined Ethan over 12 times for agitating the dog, I still wasn't dressed and I hadn't accomplished one single thing on my "To-Do" list. Things weren't looking so happy. Something had to be done. 

With my hair in a bun, no makeup on and a precariously dressed toddler we loaded into the car. I'm pretty sure I had at least two more disciplining sessions in between all of this and I was trying my best not to lose my patience. I said a quick little prayer asking that our morning out would be nothing like our morning at home. 

Thankfully, I arrived at K-Mart with a very cooperative and enthusiastic toddler. We had one of the best shopping trips we have had in sometime. We got sheets and pillows for his big boy bed, perused the toy section and even waited in the checkout line without one single incident. Well, minus the fact he snatched up a lollipop while waiting (why must they put those things's a constant battle!) In fact, it was a battle I decided not to fight. We purchased the over sized sugar ball on a stick and headed back to the car.

It was only 10AM.

I refused to head back to the house. No way, no how were we going back before nap time. There was only trouble awaiting there and I had disciplined enough for the day...enough for two days really.

So we drove. He was perfectly content with his lollipop and I decided we would go on a hunt for work trucks. We stopped at a couple of different places and he had the best time looking around and pointing things out to me. He's really...OBSESSED with any type of work truck (minus cement's beyond me, but he has no reaction for them. They are colorful and they spin son! Isn't that awesome? Apparently no. I rather like looking at cement trucks. Oh, um...where were we?)

Finally, it was lunch time and thankfully nap time. We arrived back at 11:30...still with a half eaten lollipop ( time killer ever). I put him down and went about accomplishing my list. I didn't get everything done and it certainly didn't happen the way I planned, but Ethan and I had a great little outing together and apparently that was what really needed to happen.

I think one of the most important things I'm learning as a mother is to just go with the flow. It's not always easy. It's certainly not convenient. But, sometimes...going with the the secret to happiness.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! Go ahead...get to typing. I want to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Creative Commons License

My Thoughts - Uninterrupted by Laura Sager is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at

All images are property of Laura Sager unless otherwise noted.